Chairperson: Mary Howley
Secretary: Marian Geraghty
Treasurer: Catherine Hosty
Eileen Mc Carthy
Faith Fahy O Connor
Aoife Ní Eochaidh
Bernadine Mc Kenna (Resigned)
The Council have a minimum membership of 10 and a maximum membership of 17 parents , this is in line with the National Parents Council Post Primary (NPCPP). A Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer are elected by the group themselves and are ably assisted by a dedicated number of committee members. We aim to have representative/s from each year within the school on the council.
We would encourage as many parents to support the Parents’ Council as possible by attending events we organise, supporting fundraising initiatives and donating raffle prizes/sponsorship where possible. The whole school community, of which you are part, will benefit and it sends a signal to our children that their education is important to us.
In broad terms we, the members of the Salerno Parent’s Council, see our role as:
- Providing support to the Principal and teachers
- Acting as a contact point between parents and the school
- Representing the views of parents, e.g. by having an
input into school policies etc.
- Ensuring that parents are represented at all levels in the consultative process of school development planning and decision-making.
The following is an example and is in no means exhaustive of the initiatives we have undertaken in the past:
- Organising speakers to present to groups of parents on various topics relevant to raising teenagers.
- Organising speakers to present to the pupils from time to time on relevant topics.
- Reviewing and giving feedback to the school management on proposed new polices.
- Supporting specific school initiatives where possible with prizes, hampers or volunteering.
- Organising ‘Best of luck’ goodies for both junior cert and leaving cert classes prior to exams.
- Discussing and bringing forward to school management if appropriate items/topics brought to our attention by other parents.
- Organising a uniform sale at year end.
- Fundraising for Council initiatives from time to time and where appropriate assisting in school fundraising.
- Providing a welcome hot drink and refreshments at school parent nights and organising the welcome morning for parents of first years on their first day.
We are always open to ideas from parents on how we can help to enhance the school experience for all involved and would welcome your thoughts or suggestions on same. Our names are listed above and you can contact us via the school either by emailing email@example.com marking the email for the attention of the Parents Council or by dropping in a note to the school office.